linzblog

für alle linzer wiener und wiener linzer und aus g'roaste

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Are you from Estonia?


I was traveling by myself when I went to Washington last weekend. But I had pretty much fun (with myself) in the capital of the US. I arrived in the late afternoon and despite some hostel problems, I had enough time to go to Georgetown to see a pretty, kitchy sunset and have some Ben&Jerry ice cream (cookie dough's the best). On my way back to the hostel, I met the owner of a record shop (we met inside the very same) and he was quite surprised that I'm not from Estonia, because I had my Olympia in Tallin Button on my bag. We went on talking about good old Russia and Berlin and many sentences started with "When I was in ..." A well traveled guy that was. Then one evening at the fruit bar I met two girls, who are working as producers. One of them told me this story about a film she produced it was called " the grizzly man". A documentary about a guy who spent his summers living in Alaska with the bears. He loved them so much that he filmed hours and hours with the bears and himself. So he spent all this time with his beloved bears untill (a few years ago) they killed him and his girlfriend and ate them both. Now that's a story to digest! And on my way home I met an architecture student from Washington who had been living in Vienna for 4 years and we started talking about all the numerous monuments and their stories and we both agreed that the "monument gift" from Japan (cherry trees along Tidal bay) is the best out of all. In general there were so many nice people in Washington, most people greet you in the street and everytime I looked at my map people asked me if I was lost. The only thing that sucks about traveling alone is that it's almost impossible to get a good picture from yourself;) and more pictures from Washington as usual on flickr.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

cute photo of you my darling Martina!
love Maija xx

9/20/2006 09:58:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Martina,

schreibe mal auf Deutsch und in den Blog, damit du mich bemerkst:)
Wollte dir meine Emailadresse schicken, nur leider konnte ich nicht mehr die letzten drei Buchstaben deiner Adresse entziffern. Und du hast es mir noch vorgelesen...
Hoffentlich hattest du noch ein paar schoene Tage auf Nantucket?! Sarah und ich jetzt beide inzwischen erkaeltet, aber wenns die Sternennacht war - das war's wert!!!
Wir haben uns auf jeden Fall gefreut, dich kennenzulernen, und wenn du magst:
jbliesemann@web.de
zarafriederike@gmail.com

Lieben Gruss
Jasmin

9/27/2006 01:18:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home